Stephan Erdös was born in Lipine (Hungary) in 1906. Between 1922 and 1925 he followed a study at the technical school for clay industry in Znaim/Moravia (Tjechie) and at the state porcelain technical school in Karlovy Vary with a practical period in the ceramic manufactory Sonnenhuber in Steyr/Upper Austria, specialized in kiln construction. Between 1925 and 1929 he studied ceramics with Michael Powolny at the Kunstgewerbeschule Vienna, where between 1929-1932 he is assistant of Powolny. Between 1934 and 1945 Erdös runned his own workshop in Znaim/Moravia together with his wife Ida Erdös-Meisinger. At that time he is also a high school teacher for art education. In 1936 Erdös meets Prof. Max Laeuger. Between 1942 and 1945 he has to fullfill the military service. Since 1946 than Erdös has his own workshop in Tittmoning/Upper Bavaria together with Ida Erdös-Meisinger. Between 1952 and 1956 he is director of the State Technical School for Glass Industry and Wood Carving in Zwiesel, where he also designed for the glass production. In 1956 he is Professor for ceramics at the State Academy of Fine Arts in Stuttgart. Stephan Erdös died in Bad Wiessee/Tegernsee in 1956.
Pictures: Stephan Erdös, green vase (source museum-digital rheinland-pfalz); Vase and bowl (source design- and-arts); Signature (source Robert Zublin Berlin).